118 cars entered SM Pohjanmaa Ralli, including Jari-Matti Latvala and new Toyota juniors!
SM Pohjanmaa Ralli will be driven on 17.-18.6. and 118 crews have entered the rally. In addition to the Finnish Championship series, the rally is part of the FIA European Rally Trophy series this year and thus it is a slightly bigger event than usual. With the top Finnish Championship drivers there are also drivers all the way from Japan as Toyota is launching their new junior program with three drivers in Ostrobothnia. Hikaru Kogure, Nao Otake and Yuki Yamamoto will start their long journey towards WRC with Finnish co-drivers Topi Luhtinen, Marko Salminen and Miika Teiskonen next to them. Jari-Matti Latvala, team principal of Toyota Gazoo Racing, is also participating the rally with his Toyota Celica in historic class.
– It is great to be able to drive in the home race again after four years. Celica will have a new engine and the other bigger maintenance has now been done. I will be a great 2-day race and apparently, we will be driving both new roads and classic stages. SM Pohjanmaa Ralli happened to fit the calendar just right before the trip to Kenya, commented Latvala on his participation.
The rally will start on Friday at 19:00 in the marketplace of Seinäjoki where the public has a free access. On Friday two special stages will be driven before the evening service. The rally continues Saturday with six special stages and one of them will be driven in the center of Seinäjoki. The total length of the route is approximately 450 kilometers and there are 130 kilometers of special stages. The first crew is expected to arrive to the finish in the marketplace of Seinäjoki on Saturday at 19:00.
More rally stars will be seen in the city special stage when Marcus Grönholm will drive a show run before the actual competitors. The special stage in the center of Seinäjoki requires a big effort from the organization and lot of audience is expected to arrive there. There will also be a VIP event along the special stage organized in cooperation with Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho so there will be plenty of things to see and experience.
– The city of Seinäjoki is strongly involved in the event. Together and in a mutual understanding we have looked for the best possible location for the special stage. Early in the spring we have also arranged hearings for the people in the area. We are very pleased with the result we can offer both to the audience and the drivers, told route officer Jussi-Pekka Tiilikka about the city special stage.
With the permission of city of Seinäjoki and the authorities, the following areas will be closed from other traffic on Friday 17.6.2022 between 7:00 and 10:00 and on Saturday 18.6.2022 between 13:00 and 19:00:
– KIRKKOKATU and its paths for light traffic between Kaartotie/Marttilantie
– PARK WALKWAYS between Talankuja – Matinkuja bridge / Kalevankatu
– ALASENPUISTO and its carpet washing site
– yard areas of UIMAHALLI-URHEILUTALO AND HIGH SCHOOL and CHILDREN’S TRAFFIC PARK
SM Pohjanmaa Ralli apologies for any inconvenience caused by the arrangements.